Human Resources ManagerFull-time, permanent position from Monday-Friday (32.5 hours per week)
Position: Human Resources Manager
Location: Wagmatcook First Nation
Department: Band Administration
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for providing strategic leadership, guidance and support to the Wagmatcook First Nation’s human resources department. The role involves working closely with department heads and senior management team and Chief and Council and Human Resource Committee to create and implement HR policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with all relevant federal and provincial legislation, and overseeing the recruitment, retention, and development of all employees.
This is a new position within Wagmatcook First Nation whereas Human Resources will hold a dedicated position. This will allow the individual to shape and design and structure this role and the ability to personally influence the vision of Human Resources in the community.
- Develop and implement HR strategies, policies, and procedures that align with the Wagmatcook First Nation’s overall objectives and values.
- Advise senior management team and department heads on all HR matters, including recruitment, retention, employee relations, performance management, compensation, and benefits.
- Ensure that all HR policies and practices are compliant with relevant legislation, including but not limited to the Indian Act, Employment Standards Act, and Human Rights Code.
- Manage the recruitment and selection process, including developing job descriptions, advertising vacancies, screening applications, conducting interviews, and making job
- Develop and implement capacity development programs to ensure that employees have the necessary skills and knowledge to perform their roles effectively.
- Provide guidance and support to managers and supervisors on performance management issues,including performance improvement plans, disciplinary actions, and
- Oversee the administration of employee benefits and compensation programs, ensuring they are competitive and cost-effective.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with employees, fostering a positive workplace culture that aligns with the Wagmatcook First Nation’s values.
- Post-secondary education in Business Administration and/or a Human Resources related discipline.
- CPHR or CIHRP or other relevant designation (or working towards) would be considered an
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in human resources capacity, preferably as an HR Generalist and/or in a First Nation or Indigenous organization.
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial employment laws and regulations, and how to apply them.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated experience in recruitment, performance management, and employee development. Detail oriented with strong problem-solving and decision-making
- Solid coaching
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to handle stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and meet time-sensitive deadlines with
- Sound judgement, high level of integrity and emotional intelligence; ability to keep confidential information secure.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a
- Experience with office-based applications, including Gmail, Google Docs, Word, Excel, Teams,
- Total compensation: Salary range $65 – $85,000 annually plus health and pension benefits
- Full-time, permanent position from Monday-Friday (32.5 hours per week)
- Option of Travel Allowance if eligible
- Office environment requiring frequent sitting or standing while using a computer is required.Hybrid work arrangement may be considered after the probationary period
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying and want to be a part of the Wagmatcook Team, please submit the following documents via Word or PDF format to the contact information below:
- Cover Letter – clearly outline how you meet the eligibility requirements of this
- Current Resume
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline:September 15, 2023, 4:00pm
* Under the Aboriginal Employment Preference policy, the Wagmatcook First Nation will give preference to the indigenous applicant when two or more candidates are deemed to be equal in terms of “best qualified.”